Tuesday, March 16, 2010


Travelling back from London again. This time I'm hooked up to the wireless network on the train and can therefore blog from my netbook. Interesting process for doing this. I had to su to root, and then change the entry for wlan0 in /etc/rc.conf to 'ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"' and then run dhclient from the command line. That said, the process wasn't too onerous and once I'd figured out what to do I was up and running in no time. The main delay was figuring out dhclient - I have static routing set up at home for my FreeBSD boxes. Anyway, the short story is that it was nowhere near as difficult as I was expecting it to be - I've never really done wireless networking outside of home before, except with the Windows Mobile (gakh) 'phone.

Coming into Crewe now, so should be back in Lime Street shortly. There was a brief scare at Euston when the alarms went off and they evacuated the station. I thought I was either going to get blown up, or be very delayed in getting home. But whether it was some sort of mistake or not I don't know - they called us all back in within 5 minutes. No delays and everything's been fine so far thank goodness.

Still trying to learn C programming. I'm not finding this easy (although I'm probably making this harder than it needs to be ny using K&R). Perl still feels like a very 'natural' language to me. The main reason for learning C is so that I can learn to use GTK and program a speech app for Alex to do his homework with using Festival. Yes, I know I could do this in Perl, but the opportunity to learn C seemed like the motivation I needed to finally get off my bum and do it.

All reasonably well at home, I just need the weather to turn around so that we can get out of the house a bit more at the weekend. The looming battle over Alex's secondary school is still just far enough over the horizon for me to stay in denial for a little while longer at least.

And I haven't even mentioned the fiasco on Mother's Day when I undercooked the pork for Deb's Mum and Dad, and had to be rescued by Deb!

Still back into Elvis after going to the show a week or so ago. Relistening to 'Artist of the Century' (which, if you remember, I bought from the Amazon marketplace for one pound). More and more interested in the 70's work.

Leaving Crewe now, so will get back to reading K&R (maybe).





No comments: