Thursday, June 24, 2010

I've been reading a couple of reviews of Edward Luttwak's 'Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire' on the byzans mailing list. Both quite critical, and having read it I have to agree. This is a shame because I thought his earlier book on the Roman empire very insightful. This new book however is ful of fairly simple errors. It also takes a very simplistic view of what underpins Byzantine strategy. In common with the reviews I have read, I am not convinced it all boiled down to the experience of facing Attilla. It does seem clear that there was a close relationship betwen the Byzantium and the people of the steppe, but Luttwak's Doesn't seem to bring out the complexities. All in all, a disappointing follow up.

Other than that, I have just finished Runciman's 'Fall of Constantinople'. This book is in a different league. It may be little dated now, but for a narrative telling of a truly tragic story with real pathos, I don't think you cpuld beat it.

I am also ploughing through part 2 of the old Cambridge Medieval History volume IV. Also a good read, although again a little dated.

No comments: