Sunday, December 17, 2006

Dionysios Of Zakynthos:
Apparently, today is the feast day of Saint Dionysius of Zakynthos in the Greek Orthodox church. At least according to www.iconograms.org I'm currently listening to the monks and choirs of Kiev Pechersk Lavra - streaming over the internet on my laptop from Magnatune:
Monks and Choirs of Kiev Pechersk Lavra: Chants of the Russian Orthodox Church:
I've been doing some Byzantine reading to follow up on my reading of Psellus, so I thought I'd get in the mood. After reading the relevant bits of Ostrogorsky and Warfare, State and Society in the Byzantine World by John Haldon I do have some thoughts on the lead up to Manzikert and collapse. May have to blog about this sometime - perhaps over Christmas. I'm not sure I agree with Ostrogorsky and the 'standard' interpretation. Will keep you posted.

I think the retreat into Byzantium is a desperate attempt to ignore what's happening in the Ashes.

By the way, Alex was a 'greeter' at his school play, dressed as Father Christmas. Not, as we thought, having lines in the play itself. Bit disappointed. Then again, he did fine the first time, but ran off and hid on the second time (when Deb wasn't there). Guess he hasn't come that far after all.

Roll on Christmas!

No comments: