Thursday, November 20, 2008

Brief trip to Sheffield today for a written test to accompany my application for an accelerated development programme. This is something that would facilitate a number of postings over 3 years with the aim of getting promotion. I filled in the form at the last minute a few weeks ago, and everyone who applies has to undergo this test.

If I'd known the type of test involved, I probably wouldn't have bothered. It was one of those psychometric things - here's a sequence of 5 pictures, choose the next one in the sequence.

I am spectacularly awful at these tests. It's been sometime since I took one, and I just can't seem to get the hang of them. Needless to say, today's test went just as badly. I am not therefore expecting great things from this application. Results expected in the week before Christmas. Yippee.

Not too impressed with Sheffield as a town either. Much of it was very run down, but with some small pockets which had been regenerated. I'll post a picture of the art just outside the train station later. It was a great sight just after getting off the train. But as soon as you went past it there were a number of derelict buildings. So a mixed bag really.

I've just added Webcalendar to my server at home, so that I can share my diary across the home network. Installed from FreeBSD ports on the 6.3-RELEASE system it works without problem. I combine this with jpilot I can export the calendar from my Palm TX to iCal format and then upload it to Webcalendar. I'm not sure Deb was impressed when I set up her side of the PC to view my calendar (she asked if I was looking for a secretary!) but I'm working on it.

(typed from the train on the way home from Sheffield).

No comments: