Saturday, May 30, 2009

Progress with the Lenovo s10e. I finally bit the bullet and put FreeBSD on it this morning. I couldn't get unetbootin to work at all - it would not boot. So I ended up pulling an external hard drive to bits so that I could hook up an IDE cd drive.

That booted the standard 7.2 release disc 1 ok, and I ran through a normal installation. This model has a normal hard drive, so I didn't need to do anything special for an SSD.

On booting, there are some issues with acpi that I haven't got figured yet. It won't, for instance, power off. It only halts, then needing a button press.

The broadcom wireless chip is not supported. I downloaded the driver from the Lenovo site and extracted it on a Windows machine. I then had to to use icon to convert the inf file from utf to ascii before feeding bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys to ndisgen. This created a kernel module which when loaded created ndis0. This can be treated like a normal wireless device, and I'm now up and running. It seems to need a separate "ifconfig ndis0 up" command after boot to work, so I'll need to work that into a boot script at some point

No comments: