Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Spent last night getting linux to run on my Palm TX. It's fantastic that it works, but slow and clunky. Not really a replacement for Palm OS yet. That said, there's a new version being worked on that promises to make it possible to use the wifi. That would be good, but it also needs to improve the responsiveness of the system.

I'm a huge fan of Palm - the TX is my third after an original Zire and a Tungsten E. It's a great machine, and very usable. But the age of the design is starting to show. I've just bought a Windows Mobile smartphone, and I'm slowly moving my PIM data over. Eventually, I'll probably end up getting rid of the Palm. That will be a sad day for me though. Windows Mobile doesn't feel as intuitive. But it has a GPRS connection, and potentially means carrying one less gadget.

I'm really struck by the software contrast. There's far less for Windows Mobile, and is far more difficult to get it working. With Palm, you just plonk the prc file on the device.

Perhaps if the linux for Palm gets better I can convert that into a proper miniature computer?

No comments: